Scalable growth is one of the main competitive advantages of digitalization, a concept that at first seems exclusively linked to technology. A clear example is the cloud, which can exponentially multiply the volume of information held by a company at a minor cost.
But there is also the possibility for several people to access one same source of information simultaneously, regardless of where they are. Therefore, digitalization is also connectivity. Between people and between ideas, no matter their provenance or place of origin.
In this context, one could say that ideas crowdsourcing is one more element of the digital era. Once physical and geographic barriers have fallen, ideas can flow, blend, interact and be built around specific objectives and challenges.
And in this activity, sheltered under a paradigm without boundaries, talent stands out, and can contribute to a specific goal, whether it belongs to an organization or not. Crowdsourcing is a resource on the rise for companies and institutions.
– Collective ideas to solve problems: the saying “two heads are better than one” can be applied to collective processes where hundreds and even thousands of people participate, generating new ideas and solving existing problems.
– Flexible leadership with objectives: although “two heads are better than one”, two heads don’t necessarily have to always think better than one. Setting objectives in crowdsourcing processes is essential to avoid dispersion. However, you need to be flexible so that you don’t kill spontaneous ideas or inhibit ‘out of the box’ thinking.
– Clear, simple and transparent information. This is the only way to communicate the objective of a crowdsourcing process to the community.
– Creating a living community. Without it, any crowdsourcing process will be impossible. To create such a community, the driving forces behind the project must moderate the presence of inadequate contributions, communicate each phase of the process and evaluate shared ideas.
– Establish reward mechanisms. In relation to the previous point, participation must be promoted (as well as good ideas) and any possible doubt or anxiety removed—my ideas are good? They will be considered?—derived from becoming involved in a process like this.
– Encourage content creation. Digital businesses like Facebook or Google leave the creation of content to a new type of consumer. In ideas crowdsourcing processes, this is taken one step further: they allow to build loyalty between the consumer and brand, and create brand value without the use of marketing actions.
Crowdsourcing processes can reinvent relations between people and businesses, between employees and companies, and between brands and consumers. The common element is a commitment to creativity and (new) ideas by opting for horizontal, transparent and two-way communication.
The integral search for diversity and talent is a key element of a global world.
We can help you to drive your crowdsourcing processes forward with innovation management software